CHALLENGE #1: BODY PARTS:
In our ‘HELLO DOLLIES” doll club in Sun City Summerlin, Las Vegas, Nevada, we had a challenge and had to use different items we found around the home to make a doll body. I used a can, a water bottle and a spool of thread for the body. I glued these parts together.
CHALLENGE # 1 – COMPLETED DOLL:
I dressed this can, water bottle and spool with a dress and needle felted her head, scarf and cuffs.
"GEDALYA THE MAGICIAN"
For this May Mystery Challenge, we had to use 1 small rubber chicken and 1 tin can. The following items had to be visible: 3 buttons: 1 red, 1 character and 1 – one inch or larger. We had to use 1 zipper, any size, any color; 3 or more feathers and 1 clothes pin, any shape. The challenge was sponsored by the Las Vegas Silver Doll-ers doll club.
Since I love to needle felt, I made a magician. His bow tie is a clothes pin, his jacket has a zipper down the front. He is holding a yo yo of large buttons. His pockets have a red button and a fancy button on it. The chicken sits in a magician’s hat which is filled with feathers.
I named him Gedalya after my oldest grandson.
He received two awards: 1st for THE BEST USES
2nd for CUTEST
"GEDALYA THE MAGICIAN" was also published
on page 60 in the March 2009 issue of
DOLL CRAFTER AND COSTUMING"
I belong to the "Southern Nevada Handweavers & Spinners Guild, Inc." AKA "Fiber Arts Guild".
We were each to bring in a brown paper bag with enough stuff to create a "masterpiece" related to weaving. My bag contained 3 different colors of yarn. I decided to weave Adela's body on my large peg loom, needle felt her head, and sew and stuff her arms and legs. This doll is a combination of my "California Rag Doll" and my "Woven Tapestry and Needle Felted Doll"- except this doll is longer in size.
My Sun City Doll Club had a Thrift Doll challenge. We went to a Salvation Army store and had to buy different items to make up a doll. I bought a plastic wine goblet, a candle holder, an old fashion orange squeezer, a skein of brown yarn, and a turquoise cotton shirt that I cut up. I painted the face with acrylic paint.
The items glued together but not dressed yet